12.10.2011

Organizing You, part 2

Welcome to part 2 of organizing you, and your business. The last post, I talked about studio management and workspace; This time I will talk about laying out a workflow and managing your client base.
Missed part 1? see it now!

Workflow
This question comes up time and time and TIME again. How do you keep your workflow organized? The secret is a wall mounted whiteboard. You can make one yourself, or purchase one online from places like Photography Concentrate or Design Aglow. You can also use your Studio Management software, plus your desktop to keep you organized.

A basic workflow chart could include these steps (will vary):
Consultation Scheduled (opt)
Choose Location (opt)
Session Scheduled
Collect Session Fee
Send Confirmation and Receipt to Client
Send Reminder to Client
Contracts and Releases signed
Photographed
Ordering Appointment Scheduled
Send Confirmation to Client
Upload Images
Cull Session
White Balance and Basic Editing
Import into Presentation Software
Organize Presentation
Build Composites for Showing
Send Reminder of appointment to client
Post teaser on FB (opt)
Ordering Appointment
Final retouching and cropping
Send order to lab
In production
Blog Session
Awaiting packaging
Packaged and Ready for Delivery
Contact clients
Delivered

If you're using a CRM or Studio Management solution, you can usually automate many of these steps based on what they call "triggers" so that you don't need to remember to do all of them individually.

As you can see, a lot of this crosses over into Client Base Management. I do a mix of online and offline for my clients. Every client is entered into the Customer Relationship Management software (CRM). Active clients also get file folders.

I use regular size manila folders. On the tab, I have their client number and name. They are filed alphabetically by last name, so that is listed first. Inside the file, I have a data sheet with basic information about the client: Name, address, phone numbers, email, how they heard about us, what kind of session, and any notes. If you're using a CRM program you can print this from the program itself. Also in the folder goes copies of all communication, all invoices, anything with signatures (except cc receipts), and copies of the order submission to the lab and retouching notes. Do not keep their cc number in their file for security (and legal) reasons.

When you close out the file, I recommend keeping everything that has notes and signatures. I like to staple them together and mark it on the front with last name and year. Many states require you keep this information for a designated period of time - do some research on the laws in your area.

In my CRM, I make notes of anything we talk about, and I send emails to the clients through their "file". This allows me to track exactly what was said and sent, and when. Get as many personal contact options as you can from your clients. Many CRMs will also have "status" options that you can change, much like the workflow board.

Also make sure to note how they heard about you, whether they are a referral (who referred them), if they are a return client. Try to also keep note of any plans/programs they belong to with your business and their running total of spending with you for the year.At the end of the year, I send out appreciations to that years clients and this information helps me know what to send.

That's the basics of getting things set up so you're off to an organized start :) Want to know something specific? Leave me a comment and let me know!

7 comments:

  1. Great post, I appreciate all that you do for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay finally something I'm not far behind on! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing what should be on a workflow board! Need to make one for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you guys find it useful! I love workflow boards, they keep me on track :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying, I'm trying! Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete