12.23.2011

Featured Photographer: Debbie Ellis Photography

Debbie Ellis Photography
Residential Studio Photography
Online: Web, Blog, Facebook
Serves: New England and beyond
Market: Newborns, Children and High School Seniors
Go to Gear: Nikon D90, 35mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-300

I used to be not so into kids. Didn't really want to "hold the baby" when a friend or family member had a new one to share. Almost ten years ago, that began to change. My oldest was born in January of 2002.

As I embarked upon my Photography career, there was that nagging question that was always there..."what will you specialize in?". So in my first couple of years of business I have been trying everything on to see if it fits. I have done kids' birthday parties, second shot weddings, small children running all around with me chasing them up and down hills throughout a park, maternity, families, corporate headshots, dance performances, theater performances. I may even get a brandie newborn baby shortly after birth next week in the hospital...so excited at that prospect.


The one I have really been enjoying is newborns! It takes a lot of patience and you have to like getting to know strangers as you will be spending two plus hours with them. This is no "mini session" that's twenty minutes and you're done.

So, how do I do it?

I have a "Residential Studio"; aka it's in my finished basement. A few days ahead of the session, I send the new mom a detailed email with everything from what to expect, what to bring, when to feed and let them know I have a non toxic home (we don't use any chemicals to clean) but, we do have pets. Full disclosure is key so there are no surprises or allergy attacks. (In the new year, I plan to mail this to them instead of emailing it)


I set the stage with my over-sized bean bag known as a newborn nest, drape a cozy blanket (only used for my sessions...I don't just pull them from my children's beds) from the background stand over the newborn nest. Position the 4x6 Larsen soft box, hair light and reflector for the set up. About an hour before, the heat is on. I like to have it about 80 degrees. Because of this, I usually wear a tee shirt with capri yoga pants and bare feet (only if properly pedicured). I run the air purifier the whole night prior to the session.

When the Mom/Parents come in with the baby, we go over my simple contract, and head downstairs. (after I oogle over their beautiful new baby, of course)

In my studio, I have a basket of wipes, newborn diapers, and towels. Yes. Babies pee, and poo, and they will on you and your oh so cute blankets and props. It's totally ok and expected, I tell them it will happen and we usually are laughing about it. I have asked the mom to feed the baby right before she comes over or when she gets here so the baby will be ready to sleep. (Pee and poo tends to shortly follow!)


We then work together to get the baby to sleep. This is the hard part, as you know if you have children. Sometimes they follow along just perfectly and other times...not so much. I have a white noise maker and will keep the room darker, I recommend binkies and movement. When it's time, we get the baby set up in a comfy cozy position on the newborn nest or in another prop we have chosen.

The most important key is safety. There are photos you will see of "hanging babies" but I have learned how to do this safely. I won't go into it as that would be a whole other post. Please, always be right next to the baby, or have the parents be hands on. You can remove them in photoshop.

Another important thing is to get the mom in the photos. New moms feel fat, and well, they may be bigger than they used to be. But, getting them holding their baby and the connection....you can feel it from the photos. They love them, even if they didn't want to in them, and always buy them. And, get a few with eyes open...try to avoid the cross eyed ones, but the big dark glassy eyes are way cool.

A typical newborn session, we will do about three set ups and one to two different poses in each set up. I recommend they bring props or heirlooms like dad's blanket that his grandmother made for him when he was a baby. They always buy that for Grandma.

Props are so fun! I love finding new props. Doll beds are perfect for newborns, as are sturdy wicker baskets (rectangle and round ones), I have a big plastic tonka truck, wooden boxes, hats, bows, blankets, blankets and more blankets!

Before they leave, we schedule the viewing session, usually about a week out. When they come back for the viewing session, I am on full baby duty so they can make decisions with no concern of the baby. My goal is to make mom cry when she watches the animoto video; I have been pretty successful thus far!

It's best to get the baby in asap after they are home. They are still all curled up and sleep more when ten days and younger. I have done them as old as six weeks for a newborn session and made it work.

You just need to love babies, feel comfortable holding them and moving them around.

Thank you for reading!


2 comments:

  1. First, I really enjoy your logo and your over-the-shoulder photo! That's a smart way to avoid the cross eyes; you KNOW the baby will be able to focus on mom or dad right there in their faces.

    I was the same way as you growing up and until my sister had her first baby. Being the second youngest (with my brother only a year behind me), I never got that typical babysitting experience. It's so funny how things can so simply change because, now, I'm a newborn photog too!

    One question, have you always used studio lighting for newbies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing us your studio! I just love yawning babies!

    ReplyDelete