12.08.2011

Organizing You, part 1

I get a lot of questions about keeping your business and workspace organized, laying out a workflow, and managing your client base. I will do this in two parts. This one will cover business and workspace.

The first thing to set up is Studio Management. Find a good Studio Management software, pair this with an accounting solution, and if necessary, a Customer Relationship Management program. Let me go in to some detail about what these are, what I recommend, and why you need them.

Studio Management -
This software will allow you to organize your client images, show them for ordering presentations, create professional invoices/receipts, schedule sessions and appointments. Many can run reports to help you assess your marketing efforts, and can even help with workflow. It takes some time and patience to set this up, but it means bye-bye paper notes and can really finish the feel of your brand to your clients.

What I recommend:
If you're on PC, I would choose StudioPlus Software (not Mac compatible without parallels).
On a Mac, StudioCloud would be my choice. Many photographers use Successware and Proselect.
If you're unsure of what solution is best for you, I would try the trial of each and go from there.

Accounting -
Even if you have a CPA (please get one if you don't!) you should have some sort of accounting software. At the very least, it should have the ability to manually enter expenses and income, print reports for taxes and sales, and sync to your bank accounts. There is nothing worse for an audit or filing taxes than shoebox accounting. I cannot stress this enough - you don't want to mess up your taxes, and accounting software will keep that in check.

What I recommend: 
Quickbooks 
If that's out of the budget, WaveAccounting is a good, free online option. It's only downfall is that it doesn't track goals.
If you want goals, Mint is great.

Customer Relationship Management (CRM) -
This software will allow you to keep track of your clients and prospects in detail. Many suites will allow you to take notes, assign client numbers, send emails and automated communication and link all communication to that client file. It can save you a lot of time and keep you in check to make sure you never miss anything - and keep your clients feeling like they're your number 1.

What I recommend:
This is why I love StudioPlus so much - it has a CRM built in! Talk about perfect.
If you're not going with SP, then I would say check out ACT! or SugarCRM for good options.

***

Your Workspace will be strongly customized to how you work, and your brand.

At the very minimum, keep your branding binders close at hand, a desk calendar, a phone, a computer, workflow board and client files. Everything should be within easy reach.

My desk area has everything listed above, plus my label maker, a standing filer, general office supplies (pens, stapler, etc). I also keep a cropping guide nearby, as well as all of my current materials and prices/products. I have a couple of bins under my desk for current and ongoing larger projects so that I can keep things neat. I have my to do list on a clipboard next to my mouse, and my inquiry log sheet next to the phone.

On my computer, I keep my desktop organized with a custom background that works as a sort of workflow board. You can find something similar at Design Aglow, or on Facebook in the New Pros Photography Group. There is a desktop shortcut to all of my scripts, pre-drafter emails, and anything I use on a daily basis (this means that anyone using my desk can also easily send these things just in case).

see part 2

8 comments:

  1. Such a great post! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, you are just too good to us! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are there any studio management programs that have corresponding iPad and iPhone apps? Because mostly thats how I use it and input things.

    For instance, when I meet with a bride currently, I have my iPad with me and use notes to record all of the details. If I could input it once and then it appeared in my studio management program on the iMac, woohoo, happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good info, I'll have to come back to it ! I work on a mac :) Thanks for sharing Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. another one for my holiday planning time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome info! this is exactly what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve, from what I've heard, StudioCloud, ShootQ, and Successware all sync with the iPhone/iPad. StudioCloud actually has CloudBooking, which is a beta booking application on the i platforms :)

    ReplyDelete