11.12.2011

OnTheEdge | Ana Silva Photography: Featured Photographer, week 7

OnTheEdge | Ana Silva Photography
Studio location: Orlando, Florida
Serves: Central and South Florida, NY and the Tri-state Area
Market: Newborn, Maternity, Weddings and Family Portraits
Go to gear: Nikon D200, 50mm 1.8, 18-200mm VR, 55-200mm VR and SB900 flash.
Photography style: Journalistic, classic, modern and contemporary

Business story: It all started after I had my first daughter. I was due to go back to school to finish my degree but had a stroke. I put everything on hold and just concentrated on taking care of myself and family. My husband and I always spoke about me staying at home to care for our kids, so it was a no brainer to do so once the baby was born. Pretty soon I found myself with nothing to do, so since I always loved the aspect of photography I decided to pursue it at a deeper level.

What does photography mean to you?
Photography is one of the most effective ways to express my creativity. To see what I have in mind come to life right before my eyes is an amazing feeling of self-fulfillment. I get to do what I love and still have time for my family.
I enjoy photographing all kinds of subjects, but I love photographing babies and bellies the most. It fills me with so much joy to see parents go gaga with their babies or a mommy to be glowing with the excitement and anticipation for her newborn.







Weddings are more complex, but I enjoy shooting them as well. Seeing how beautiful brides are and how much love radiates from them makes it worthwhile. The ones I’ve done have been a breeze, that doesn’t mean all of them will be, but it’s all about how I handle my obstacles that determines how far I’ll get.




What inspired you to start your business?
I’ve loved photography since I was about 12 years old. I really didn’t like to be photographed but loved to take other people’s pictures.
I never saw photography as any means to make a living. I just loved the whole aspect of it. Being behind the camera, capturing unique moments, just made sense to me.

As my photos got better, friends and family started suggesting I go pro. I didn’t think I was good enough to start charging for my photography. After some persuasion I decided to give the “pro” photography thing a chance and six years later here I am.

What makes you different from other photographers?
I believe we’re all unique. There’s a place and space for all of us without killing each other for clients. I believe in providing the best service and quality regardless of budget. I give it my all whether is a $10K client as I would a $50 one. The respect is the same despite the difference in price. What’s important to me is that they love and cherish their photos and repeat their business.

Why should I hire you to take my photos?
Because not only would you get great services, prices and quality, but you’ll also get a friend. I like for my clients to see me as approachable as possible so it reflects on their photos. I take the time to get them to open up to me so they can feel they can trust me with what’s important to them. It’s not just about getting their picture taken; it’s about creating a memory for them to cherish forever.


How do you prepare for a session?
I get everything I need the night before. If it’s newborns, I get all my props together, if it’s family I tell them ahead of time and remind them the night before what to bring. When I go to bed, it takes me a while to fall asleep because I start thinking about poses and ideas on how to photograph them.

What’s the best reaction you’ve gotten from a client?
I had a client cry when she saw her baby’s newborn pictures! She told me how much it meant to her to have her baby’s pictures so beautifully done and the care I had put into them. It felt really good to hear that because in the end all that matters is the emotion you receive from your clients’ satisfaction.


Who inspired you to do photography?
Way before I knew who she really was, I loved Ann Geddes baby photos. It amazed me how babies could be displayed so artistically and beautifully. I also admire Kelley Ryden and Tracy Raver, they’re just amazingly talented.

Why did you choose to be a photographer?
Besides being an art, photography is my way to bring out the best in people. It’s very rewarding to see people’s reactions when they see their photos. I love to make people happy and I believe photography is one of the simplest ways to do so.


Did you question your talent and if so, what made you keep going?
Yes, I questioned my talent for quite some time, which is why I didn’t go pro sooner. I didn’t think that people would want to pay for my work, so I would do lots of TFCDs to get practice. I was scared to charge and be turned down. Then one day I took a long look in the mirror and convinced myself that I was as good as any great photographer out there. That I was just as talented and therefore I would start my own business.

How do you justify your pricing?
My prices do not need justification. I let my work speak for itself. If you truly know about custom photography and its worth, then prices shouldn’t be justified. I consider my work an art. And art is not affordable for everyone, yet many of us have purchased a masterpiece and never have questioned its value.

What keeps you going when things get rough?
My husband and my children. They’re my pillars and motivation. My kids are my models, LOL. I’m constantly practicing with them so I can get better. When you have family and friends to support you, things seem a lot simpler.

How is a day in your life like?
Besides being a photographer, I’m also a stay at home proud wife and mommy to four adorable children, photo props designer and homeschooler. My life is hectic to say the least but fun, energetic and blessed.

I try to keep things leveled so I don’t go crazy! Keeping things in perspective helps me manage both businesses and family life. My family is definitely first, but I make sure I don’t neglect the businesses either. To keep me sane when things go kaboom, I crochet and read. It helps me relax and start anew with creative ideas.

What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your business?
The biggest challenge has been working with a small marketing budget. The clients have been scarce, so it’s been a bit tough. One mistake I was doing was not valuing my work by charging under the market price just to make some quick bucks; however, after doing some research, I’ve learned how to value my time and effort through the support of my clients and colleagues.

What are your goals in this field?
My goals are to be recognized as one of the best portrait photographers. To be featured in Photography magazines and one day win the photographer of the year award. Maybe even photograph celebrity families.

What would you tell a new photographer starting his/her business?
Have a plan, do research and definitely prepare yourself. If you can, get a coach or mentor. This is a very competitive business but there’s room for everybody. Be unique, find your niche and make the best of it. Enjoy it for what it means to you, not for how much money you get out of it. And have fun!!!


What would you say to those that are afraid to provide information and help?
As I said before, there’s room for everyone. Helping someone new get help creating their business it’s not going to take anything away from yours. I believe in abundance and in giving. Giving is better than receiving because when you give from the heart, you receive in ways you never expected.

If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
I would be a writer. I love writing! It comes so easily to me. I’ve actually written poems and short stories; I just never published them.

What are 5 things people don’t know about you?
  1. I read inspirational books.
  2. I practice yoga to calm me down (and get fit also =0)).
  3. I love cooking! I make my own bread.
  4. I drink tea regularly.
  5. I’m a self-taught photographer.
What’s your advice for those that haven’t taken a leap to have their own business?
Going into a business without the right information, plan and exposure can be a challenge. We all need a helping hand when starting out and I’m happy to say that I’ve found a few.




6 comments:

  1. "in the end all that matters is the emotion you receive from your clients’ satisfaction." So true and why I love what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the most beautiful photos I have ever seen. It's easy to see why your clients get emotional when they see the final product.

    ReplyDelete